Easier than you think: fish gratin
Fish gratin might not be the most sophisticated dish you can have on your dining table, but it's so comforting, and easy to make. Yes, it's easier than you think! The best part: you can adjust what you want in your gratin! This is a recipe with tips and tricks for a simple fish gratin with cod.
Tips: Use whole grain macaroni.
Reduce 50% of macaroni and use chic peas.
400g boneless, skinless cod
5 dl milk
1 leek - chopped into 5mm rings
1 cup whole grain macaroni - cooked
1 cup cooked chic peas
For the sause:
ca 60g butter
1/2 cup flour
5 dl milk (which was used for soaking cod)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch grated nutmeg powder (optional)
2.5 dl cream
1 cup grated yellow cheese
1/2 cup bread crumb
1) Warm up the milk in a pan (until just about to boil, and turn off the heat.)
2) Lay the cod in the hot milk, and leave them for 10 minutes. (the cod would be half-way cooked.)
3) In a heat resistant deep oven dish, lay chic peas, macaroni, and leek.
4) By the time you finish laying the vegetable in the dish, milk (with cod) has cooled down a bit.
5) Take out the cod from the milk, and flake them into a bite size, and lay them over vegetables.
Tips: Use surgical glove!
6) Heat up the oven ca 200 C degrees.
7) In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.
8) Add flour, mix quickly, and add milk (which was used to soak the cod) little by little until thick and smooth.
9) Add cream and mix (but turn off the heat.)
10) Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
11) Spread grated cheese over vegetable and cod
12) Pour the flour cream
13) Sprinkle bread crumbs
14) Bake them in the oven ca 25 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown and crispy.