"I would like a chocolate cake for my birthday." My dear friend told me.
However, chocolate cake often contains quite high amount of butter. So this is a recipe with quite low amount of butter and sugar, but it's quite fluffy and moist - because of eggs!
For the cake
Sugar (70g and 60g)
4 eggs - separate
100 g flour
20 g cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
For the glaze
200g cooking chocolate (you can choose dark, milk, white, or combine as you wish.)
1 dl cream
1/2 dash rum (optional)
Fruits for decoration (optional)
ca 1 tbs powder sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven at 175 C degrees with fan.
2) Whip butter with electric mixer until white and fluffy
3) Add sugar (70g) little by little. By the time you finish adding sugar, it would be 3 times more of original amount.)
4) Add egg yolk one by one.
5) Mix flour, cacao powder, and baking powder. Shift them for a few times.
6) Add flour mixture into butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix only until blended.
7) In a different bowl, whip egg white. Add sugar little by little (60g) until it becomes very fine meringue.
8) Blend 1/4 of meringue into butter mixture, carefully not to break meringue by wooden spoon.
9) Add rest of meringue into butter mixture carefully.
10) Pour the cake mixture into a greased cake form, and bake at 175C degree with fan for about 35-45 minutes (or until knife comes out clean when pricked.)
11) Cool the cake on the rack.
For the glaze:
1) Break the chocolate into small pieces.
2) Melt the chocolate in a sauce pan with a larger pan of hot water bath underneath (do not melt chocolate directly on the stove!)
3) Add cream and rum (optional) and mix until shiny and smooth.
4) Spread the glaze over the cake, leave them until glaze is hardened.
5) Decorate with fruits (optional) and dust with powder sugar