Turkey is almost non-existent in Japan. It is simply because of its size. Nobody has the big enough oven at home o roast a whole turkey in Japan.
So my memory of turkey came from America. I have always liked turkey, but my impression is "lot of work" and "so much waste."
So this is an easy recipe to enjoy turkey without gutting and hours of moistening while roasting.
Ingredients: (for the turkey roll)
ca 1 kg Turkey breast
Powder BBQ spice (to sprinkle)
2 stalk celery - finely chopped
1/2 onion - finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic - pressed
ca. 200 g smoked bacon - diced
salt and pepper
3 tbs olive oil
You will need:
a baking net or string
1 large "Baking bag" - this makes it possible not needing to moist the turkey while baking.
2 oven safe dish
Ingredients: (for the root vegetable bed for turkey)
1 large sweet potatoes (ca. 500-600g) - peeled and diced
1 parsnip (ca. 300 g) - peeled and diced
2-3 carrots - peeled and diced
3/1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven 200 C degrees
2) Mix well and place all the root vegetable ingredients into an oven safe deep dish.
3) Cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
4) Spread turkey breast, make incision and try to make a large flat sheet with turkey flesh.
5) Spread coarse mustard on the surface of turkey breast
6) Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing in a bowl
7) Make a line with stuffing on the turkey breast.
Tips: Rest of the stuffing mix can be mixed into the root vegetables.
8) Roll the turkey breast, like making a roll cake. If you have a baking net, just place the meat roll inside. If you don't have the baking net, use the baking string to tighten the edges (so that it stays as a roll.)
9) Sprinkle the powder BBQ spice on the surface of turkey roll
10) Fry the turkey roll in a pan - only until it gets golden brown on the surface.
11) Place the turkey roll into a baking bag.
12) Start baking the root vegetables about 15 minutes before you start with the turkey (bake root vegetables ca. 45 minutes, and 30 minutes for the turkey.)
13) Take out the turkey from the oven, remove the baking net or string, slice them, and place them over the root vegetable bed.
14) Serve with the juice (from the baking bag) if preferred.