Teriyaki chicken has become as popular as Tikka Masala. Teriyaki actually means "shiny fried", so it's important for the chicken to have skin. I used to be surprised to see "skinless chicken breast" in the supermarket, but nowadays, I have started seeing chicken with skin both fresh and frozen.
In this recipe, I used chicken thighs. You can use chicken breast without bones (for shorter cooking time.)
5 chicken thighs with bone and skin
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Sake
1 tbs grated ginger
ca. 2 tbs oil
ca. 0.5 dl Sake
For Teriyaki sauce:
1.3 dl soy sauce
1 dl Sake
50 g Sugar
1 tbs size ginger piece - peel and finely chop
1) Make slits on chicken meat (please see presentation picture)
2) Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl.
3) Put marinade and chicken thigh into a bag and leave them for ca. 30 min.
4) Heat up some oil (I use grape seed oil) in a large frying pan.
5) Fry chicken until the skin gets crispy and brown.
6) Add Sake, cover with lid, lower the heat, and steam the chicken for about 8 minutes.
7) Mix all the ingredients for Teriyaki sauce, pour it over steamed chicken, and cook until there will be little sauce.
The sugar will be caramelized in a pan.