It may be too delicate to call it as a tea cake, but Madeleines are wonderful when eaten fresh. This French cake is baked in a special form with shell-shaped cups, and you will enjoy heavenly aroma of oranges wafting in the kitchen! This recipe uses icing sugar instead of granulated sugar - makes it even more delicate!
Ingredients: this recipe makes about 16 small Madeleines.
3 dl flour
1 tsp baking powder
1.8 dl icing sugar (Melis)
Grated zest of 1 orange
2 tbs fresh orange juice
85 gram melted butter
1) Shift flour and baking powder
2) Preheat oven 185 C degrees
3) Grease the Madeleine form.
4) Whip the egg and icing sugar with electric mixer until thick and creamy.
5) Add zest of orange, orange juice, shifted flour with baking powder, and melted butter.
6) Blend them carefully with wooden spoon only until batter is wet.
7) Spoon the batter into Madeleine form.
8) Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
9) Let them cool on wire rack.
If you must freeze them, remember to fresh them up by warming up in the oven with fan before serving.